The Borough history and the White Hart
The Borough (of Southwark) is located by the river Thames. The village centre was around Borough High Street and it was originally in the county of Surrey. The following entries can be found confirming the History of the Borough
1406 The First reference to White Hart Inn in Southwark.
1450 Jack Cade used White Hart Inn as his headquarters during his rebellion
White Hart Inn - William Shakespeare Play Henry VI
This particular Inn played an important in history and in William Shakespeare's play Henry VI. In his play, Henry VI, Shakespeare refers to the rebel Jack Cade choosing the White Hart Inn for his headquarters. Jack Cade led a rebellion in Kent in 1450, calling himself ‘John Mortimer’ in sympathy with York and setting up residence at the White Hart Inn in Southwark (the white hart had been the symbol of the deposed Richard II).
White Hart Inn
The White Hart Inn one of the Famous London Inns which was used as a venue for Elizabethan plays and theatre prior to the opening of Playhouses and purpose built Elizabethan Amphitheatres in London such as the Globe Theatre.